1.24.2008

beachy books?

*UPDATE: After Saturday's adventures, I now have in my possession quite the stack of books to pack in my Costa Rica suitcase... however, I'm still always looking for terrific book recommendations. So if you have any, be sure to let me know! :)


On Saturday, I am headed to Aurora Public Library with the mission of finding a few (or perhaps more than a few) beach books to tote along to Costa Rica for our babymoon next week. Some of my favorite beach books in the past include: The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks (thanks Jen!), Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin (thanks Trish!) and Can You Keep A Secret? by Sophie Kinsella (thanks Kiji!). I am also not opposed to more serious books (think Secret Life of Bees or Kite Runner)… And, actually, a few years ago I took the Francine Rivers Mark of the Lion series as a trio of beach reads to Mexico (though, the relentless teasing from Adam about the cover of A Voice in the Wind was enough to make me regret it… I tried and tried and cannot find a picture of this winner of a cover online, so apparently he wasn’t the only one who thought the ‘romance novel-esque’ portrayal of Atretes was a little much.)

Anyhow, I have been scouring the internet for lists of beach book recommendations, but haven’t come up with anything. Or actually, have come up with a gluttony of information… but I have no sifting mechanism to help me decide whose list to trust.

That’s where you, dear friends-who-I-can-trust-their-judgement, come in… what authors and titles should I be on the lookout for on Saturday? What are your favorite beachy reads? Like I said, I’m pretty much up for any chic lit, a serious book or two, and perhaps even a more cheesy Christian novel thrown in for kicks (one without a shirtless Atretes on the front, please). Don’t worry if you have ten (or more!) to recommend… I’d love to have a list for future snowy-with-cocoa days and poolside retreats (there will be tons of those this summer with a newborn in tote, I’m sure!) Thanks friends!

2 comments:

jordan said...

we ready quite a bit on out babymoon on the train...but I wasn't as smart as you and ended up BUYING the books in real cheap places like venice and such. :) from that trip I would recommend Life of Pi if you haven't read it yet...
and i have heard "A Thousand Splendid Suns" is pretty good to, but haven't read it yet.
I am currently reading a Francine Rivers book...just funny to think of how much we made fun of you when you first read the mark of the lion series. haha

jordan said...

OOOOOOH OR you could finally start the HP series? I think I left books one through five at your house somewhere. haha I know Keje says your not worthy but I think with a good amount of time on the beach HP might be just the thing for you.