5.26.2008

in love part 2


We'd been forewarned about the crazy mess of emotions that would accompany the Itsy's arrival. In fact, over the last few weeks, several new dads have pulled Adam aside with words of caution- "Watch out for Kirst those first few days... her emotions will be a wreck!" And they were right. I have probably never felt such a swing of emotions as I have this week... love for the little guy that exceeds what I can describe, feelings of inadequacy and incompetence, worry that he's bonding with us and thriving and getting enough food (and I'm not generally a worrier at all!), thankfulness for the help and support of family and friends... it has been a roller coaster!

One surprise has been the effect this whole having a baby thing has had on my relationship with Adam. I knew that Adam would be a great dad and I knew that he was the perfect partner for me as we enter this next great adventure... I didn't know just how amazing he'd be. Watching him calm Burke down in the middle of the night, having my every need met before I can think to ask, seeing his love and affection for the Itsy, glancing out the window to see him working in the garden and just generally taking care of things around here, hearing his calming, encouraging words when I get overwhelmed... I don't know if I've ever been so in love.

3 comments:

jordan said...

it is so fun to see adam as a dad...watching him squirm when little burke is crying, or taking so much care to make sure he is bundled up correctly. such a joy! I love that guy...in a strictly brother-in-law sense. :)

kjds said...

I love these pics! What a fun season to see this baby grow - but to see your love grow in other ways too. I love that thought! He is so precious! And I love his name! Way to go you two!

Mandy said...

way to go adam!