7.16.2008

people pleaser


Yet at the same time many even among the leaders believed in him. But because of the Pharisees they would not confess their faith for fear they would be put out of the synagogue; for they loved praise from men more than praise from God. John 12:42-43


A couple Sundays ago, we visited Jord and Drew's church, Redeemer, in Lubbock. Out of the several key points that Dusty touched on, I was so convicted by his teaching on the verses above... See, I am a people pleaser to the greatest degree and care far too much about the opinions of people. It seems easier to me to blend in, to hold my tongue (even about things that really matter), to not say things that are controversial, even if they're true. However, the challenge that Sunday was that really, our lives should stand out... We shouldn't blend in so much with the world that there is nothing that sets us apart. After that initial sermon a couple weeks ago, it seems like I keep running into this same theme in the things that I read and listen to.
Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ. Galatians 1:10
If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. John 15:18-19

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. Romans 12:2
My prayers are that Adam and I would be so grounded in Truth that there wouldn't be any fuzzy lines about when we should speak, or live differently, or change our habits... and also that we would have the boldness to do those things- say what is true, not be conformed to the world, and not be afraid of having a different lifestyle or set of priorities than what we see around us. That stuff is really, really hard for me. Maybe y'all will join me in praying that I would care less and less about pleasing people and more and more about my first love?
ps- If you'd like to hear Dusty's sermon, Private Faith?, it's online here.

No comments: