8.26.2008

not as easy as I thought

I know I always post when we find a great, cheap dinner or when I spend pennies at the grocery store to get bags of groceries... but life in the world of the megastrict budget just isn't always that wonderful and I thought I'd post about that side too.

Don't get me wrong- I am thankful for the Lord's provision! We aren't in need of anything... And really, in the grand scheme of things, it just doesn 't matter whether I can have my dearly beloved diet-Coke-with-extra-vanilla from Sonic this week or not.

But there are definitely some not so fun aspects of living below the poverty line. For example, I know the cost-per-item of almost everything in our pantry and fridge... and when I've already reached my daily quota, it stresses me out to eat anything else (even when the salad-from-the-garden dinner just didn't fill me up). I also hate saying no to things like a night out with friends because we can't afford to go out... or to pay for parking (or the lightrail)... And I worry about what will happen if our car breaks or if Burke needs new clothes. Mostly the rough parts are the little changes in daily life- just really not being able to afford pretty much everything.

Here are the things that I KNOW to be true: God intended for things to go just this way... if He'd wanted me to work while Adam was in dental school, He would've gotten Adam in earlier. I know that we have more than we need. I know that I am far too attached to things that really are luxuries (fast food, new clothes, restaurants, the aforementioned Sonic drinks...). I know that God will take care of us. I know that Burke joining our family was timed just perfectly.

Just sometimes, it isn't that easy to be here.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I think you've had a great attitude through this whole situation. You have been so optimistic in looking at the fun side of being frugal. I know God will bless you so much during this time, and how nice to know that there's an end in sight!

Shiloh K. said...

Dear girl, I'm so proud of you! I know the Lord is so honored by the way you're leaning into Him and trusting His hand. And I can tell you from literal experience that as long as you look to His hand for your every need He'll never let you go without the necessities (although the Sonic vanilla cokes might come less frequently!) Burke will always have clothes, you will always have food, the rent will always be paid, and should the car have any troubles, I bet He will take care of that too ;)

I know you know all that - but I just want to encourage you from the other side! So glad you're loving being a mommy. What a treasure!

Love you, Lady!

kirstin said...

y'all are so cute... thanks for the encouragement! we are so thankful to have friends that point us to the Lord and His abundant goodness! :)
love
kirst