11.29.2009

lessons from Up



I know that y'all probably saw the movie Up ages ago... but I am just getting on that bandwagon now and so you get to hear my musings months after you've thought this through.

This is what I'm thinking now:
1. I want Adam and I to be that cute and in love when we're old. Heck, I want us to be that cute and in love now.

2. I don't want to spend so much time bogged down in life that we don't live. We have no shortage of grand plans (ok, mostly I have no shortage of grand plans). I don't want to get to the end of our life and wish we'd actually gone out and done some of them. There will always (ALWAYS) be something to save for, something to plan ahead for, some reason that the dreams don't make sense. The nature of grand plans is inconvenient and incompatible with normal life. I know that the rearranging and sacrifice is worth it- I hope we can keep that in mind and see that as we allocate our time and resources.

3. On the flip side, I want to stop and see the adventures we're having right here and now. So much of life happens in the mundane, the everyday, the 'glorious middle.' There are chances for really miraculous stuff in my daily life- taking the opportunity to read with burke and really be present with him, giving up sleep to stay up late to create something that is just on the fringes of my imagination, taking a minute to kiss my husband, using my conversations to speak life and encouragement to my friends and family. These are the things that make life well lived. I hope I can see that too and not just always be waiting for the grand plans to come to fruition.


I'll leave y'all with a cute picture that Jordi took of us... the glorious middle indeed. ;)

No comments: