2.09.2010

airplane survival plan

Travelling on airplanes is not a new thing to Burke and I... However, last week's trip to Lubbock was the first flight we've taken in 6 months or so and I had a feeling I might need to be a bit more, mmm, prepared for Burke-as-a-traveller than I've had to be in the past. Motivated by the knowledge of Burke's limited ability to stay put, especially for 6 hours in a row, I had a many pronged airplane survival plan.

Part 1- A dvd player (paired with Praisebaby [do your kids love this like burke does?] and Toy Story 2). Adam had an amazon gift card and we put it to good use.Part 2- New stuff. An Elmo magnet book, a Toy Story dry erase board and new felt shapes for his felt book... I made him shapes of things that he loves currently (a walrus, a hippo, a gorilla, an octopus to replace his old one that he tore all of the legs off of, even a little elmo). They were a hit.

Part 3- Snacks. Cheezeits, fruit leather, fruit snacks, goldfish, pretzels... you name it, we had it. Oh, and I got him a new Toy Story snack bowl from the dollar bin at Target to hold said snacks.

Part 4- Other reading material. Y'all know about Burke's fond, fond affection for books. I hid some of his favorite books a week before we went to Lubbock and brought them out on the plane. Delight, I tell you.

And, I have to say, the flights weren't that bad. I was absolutely exhausted at the end of them, but the flights themselves went relatively well. Victory!

If only I could figure out how to get my family to live close enough that I wouldn't need an airplane to see them. If you have any tips for me in this regard, I'm all ears. :)

3 comments:

Tricia said...

employment was the first thing adam said.... find him and me a job and we're there! can't wait to see you guys this weekend!

Jess "BrightGreenDoor" said...

I like your survival plan. We flew with Jack last month and decided it was absolutely the last time that he would be flying on our laps. 7 months pregnant+ 17 month old= not fun.

Anyways, you may already know, but I was on Southwest.com today and I noticed $39 flights and Lubbock was one of the destinations.

Jenn said...

Great ideas, Kirstin. We're coming out your way to see my sister in the Springs next week, so I'm all ears about keeping a little one content on a flight!