2.29.2008

delightful



For the first four months of my pregnancy, I really could only consistently keep six or seven different foods in my tummy: berries, pomegranates, shredded wheat, triscuits, skim milk and Colby Jack cheese. There were random meals or foods that sounded good to me (spinach dip, appetizer meatballs, and goat cheese to name a few), and when they did, we bought ‘em… Though, we didn’t ever have any luck in getting any of those foods to stay down, so they only sounded good once. During that time, I slowly adopted the attitude: “If it sounds good- eat it! Quickly! And as much of it as possible!” Without a thought in the world to calories or nutritional content, if it sounded appetizing, I feasted. Needless to say, when the day came (right around Thanksgiving) that normal foods and smells started sounding allright again, there was great rejoicing in the Gentry household.

And now, seven months into my pregnancy, I find myself with the exact opposite problem. I am hungry, ravenous really, all the time. My formerly adopted mindset of eating with great abandon isn’t doing me any favors, either. Nor is the reading I’ve been doing about how darn much protein babies require for development! Since I am not keen on the idea of gaining heaps of weight unnecessarily, this has created a need for very careful planning of my meals and snacks. I need to eat often, and I need to eat a ton of protein, so making all of that happen (without ballooning up like a hippo) has been my latest project.

Which brings me to the best discovery EVER… Hostess Cupcakes in 100 calorie packs. Now, I’m not usually big on cake, but these things are little bites of deliciousness- heavenly, really. And since they only take up 100 calories out of my daily allotment, I have plenty of room left for tuna, egg whites, cottage cheese, and other stuff that the Itsy Bitsy actually needs. Kudos, Hostess! The beebs (and his developing organs which are requiring so many extra nutrients) thank you.

No comments: