10.31.2008

happy halloween?




I have a love-hate relationship with Halloween. I hate gory stuff, can't watch scary movies (or even Law and Order SVU) because of the nightmares that follow, and am generally opposed to a holiday founded on the pagan tradition of hiding from the devil by wearing masks.
However, I LOVE costumes and playing dress up. I love trying to think of ideas for "group" costumes (before we settled on the tooth theme, I considered an insect theme [with burke as a glowworm], an agriculture theme [with burke as a carrot] and tried unsuccessfully to come up with group themes that included a peacock or a hedgehog). I love fall treats like caramel apples, chai tea and pumpkin dip. I love the fascination that kids have with dressing up. And seriously- a holiday with lots of free chocolate? I'm in.
So if you celebrate Halloween, have a fantastic day. And if not, I get it. For now, Burke and I are off to spread some joy around Denver. He's wearing his extra costume from nana (the cutest little bunny rabbit) as we run around and do errands... I'll post pictures of our family tooth-themed getups sometime this weekend! :)

No comments: