2.21.2009

decorating resources???



I think I've mentioned my tumultuous relationship with the month of February before... I just can't get behind the idea of constant cold and gray. Throw in the fact that snow is no longer a novelty item like it is in December and top it off with the idea that the glorious, summery light at the end of the tunnel is still too far away to catch a glimpse of and you have one sad and gloomy girl (as a side note, there has not been one spring break that I can remember that I haven't tried to finagle my way to some warm beach). To make things worse, this month of blah seems to last forever to me!

To combat the terrible attitude that this month invariably illicits, I am redecorating. Or, more accurately, decorating. Remodeling and getting our house into working order has taken all of my creative decorating juices for the last few years, so much so that we still have boxes of picture frames, vases, a collection a maps and artwork, etc., downstairs in the now finished basement, but hardly anything on the walls in our house.

This is where I need your help. I am trying to almost entirely use stuff we already have around here (like I said, a multitude of frames including a couple large ones, some maps and artwork we've collected in our travels, and some vases, candles, etc.). I do also have a limited budget ($100 total) to work with courtesy of my husband who has come to hate this month as much as I do, but not because of the cold, just because of the mood of despair that descends on me around, oh, february 1st. My decorating style is apparently a mix of rustic revival, vintage modern and french eclectic (see pictures above) according to sproost's mystyle quiz. Now what? Do y'all have any cheap tips for redecorating/repurposing? Are there any fabulous websites out there to help a girl like me simultaneously use the stuff I have to make our house feel more like 'us' and also get through this awful month? I can't wait to hear your recommendations. :)

9 comments:

kjds said...

oooooo! i love those pictures! i am idea-less, but i am hoping you post the ideas you get from others for the rest of us! happy decorating! and way to go hub on giving a little to your month of gray!

Kedran said...

Hi Kirstin, Do you have a bright white house with lots of light like these pictures show or is it way different? What is your color scheme now? Do you want to change it or are you looking to enhance it with other changes?
Kedran

kirstin said...

Jen, I will definitely share what I find... :)
Kedran, our color scheme is almost entirely neutral right now... creams, browns, whites, with sage-y/olive-y and red accents. Our couches are 'cafe au lait' and sage, our dining room table is antiqued black, our big chairs are cream... I am totally open to painting, though. Right now we have a fairly neutral canvas ready for embellishment... lots of different kinds of decor would work in the space. Any suggestions???

Anonymous said...

I have this same issue with February!!! We are in between everything, and it just seems so BLAH! Anyway - no decorating help from me - just wanted to co-miserate,and let you know YOU ARE NOT ALONE! March is only one short week away! Love you!

Kedran said...

I LOVE to decorate and as my Mark or anyone who has been to my house can attest to - I have a LOT of stuff (also known as "crap" - Mark's word of choice that I choose to ignore!) I am a huge art and picture/picture frame fanatic. I love pots of all sizes and shapes and I love candles. I love to group like things together (trying to use the rule of grouping in odd numbers)

Once I have an accent color or two I love to paint frames and I love to use colored mats. I recently saw some awesome ideas in the Pottery Barn catalog. I thought of you and Jordan when I saw a grouping of frames above a bed and in each frame was just a beautiful panel of fabric - nothing else - I know how you two love fabric.

If you are looking for a special kind of art try to find a book or a calendar that you are willing to cut up. I did that with a nursery rhyme book for Cauries room when she was born. The most expensive part was the mats for the pictures. Now I just paint or cover cheap or old mats in beautiful fabric.

I could go on forever and ever, but I tend to get carried away. I'll keep thinking and pass on any ideas. Good luck - I'm sure your home is beautiful - just like YOU!
Love, Kedran

Anonymous said...

I'm re-decorating my bedroom and that is a huge task, i can't imagine a whole house!

my favorite design blog is: http://www.designspongeonline.com/
check it out!

Also, i loved that quiz to find out your decorating style!!

Kara said...

I just saw this post on frugal decorating tips today and thought of you. I can't wait to see the amazing results of your project!

http://beingfrugal.net/2009/02/24/frugal-decorating-ideas/

jordan said...

kirst- love the ideas from kedran. that girl is amazing. also, in case you were wondering i took the quiz and my "style" is cottage chic/classic/zen yeah:RANDOM! I guess that's there way of saying: umm...you don't have style. haha.

Unknown said...

Hi Kirsten,
This is Laura Nofziger. I stumbled upon your blog from your Mom's website, and I have really enjoyed reading it (I hope you don't mind!). I have a couple suggestions for re-decorating on a budget...

Any like item, if grouped together, becomes instant, interesting art. I found a barrel of old glass whiskey decanters in my friend's barn. I cleaned off the labels and they are now grouped together in my living room. I get tons of compliments on the arrangement and it was free. I love the beauty in certain forms and I think lumping items together of the same shape, same type or same color is always a great idea.

To unify your mix-matched frames, consider painting them all the same color and then grouping them for arrangements with like items inside the frame (pictures from the same book, black & white photos of Burke, cut-outs from the maps you've collected, etc). I would consider painting the frames an offbeat accent color too for interest.

Finally, paint is the great equalizer! It's amazing how great thrift store furniture (as long as it has an interesting shape or great lines) looks with new paint. Small furniture pieces (side tables, etc) are fun to paint with high-gloss accent colors.

I think an accent wall with color, new sew-it-yourself window treatments, and groupings of interesting objects or groupings of framed pictures goes a long way to decorate a room. You can always add more expensive items like lamps and rugs as your budget allows.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Thanks for brightening my day with your thoughts and pictures.

God's blessings,
Laura