2.18.2009

guarding and restoring


A couple weeks ago, mom and I went to Bride Wars. Very fun. There's a part in the movie where Emma (Anne Hathaway) is called out for wearing the same dress to a wedding that she wore to some sorority formal. Her best friend Liz (Kate Hudson) valiantly defends her, though, and all is right with the world. Which made me start thinking: a best friend to defend you against the storms of the world is way better and more important than a room full of ok friends, especially if the ok friends don't have the grace to cover over some of your rougher edges and not-so-sparkling moments.

I want to be this kind of friend, y'all. The kind that guards other people's reputations, upholds people during storms and restores people after their missteps. If you've hung out with me recently (or ever), you know that there are a multitude of moments where I need your grace. I need you to say, "Sometimes kirst says things that sound harsher than they need to," and "Sometimes kirst talks too much, just babbles on and on really," and "Sometimes Kirst and Adam have some serious work to do on their marriage/finances/views of politics/theology, but we won't give up on them." Hopefully I can do the same for you, too...

2 comments:

Shiloh K. said...

Kirst, I can't imagine you ever sounding harsh! ;)

Now that you're home, let's see if we can't manage to see each other sometime soon! We're facing a bit of a penny cruncher right now, so it may take some creativity, but I'm sure we can figure SOMETHING out! :D

Oh! and where do you get BBQ Sauce coupons? This is one condiment that I frequently wish I had a coupon for. We haven't had any in ages!

I LOVE YOU!!!

KT said...

Granted I haven't hung out with you in about 15 years but you were totally that kind of friend for me in 6th grade. Looking back, I don't know what I would have done without you.

I'm glad you're still that kind of person. =>