2.24.2009

sanctification




Jordi and I used to fight. Alot. In our prime (high school, probably... maybe junior high?), there was definitely door slamming, yelling, word slinging and there were even some all out brawls (one incident involved the throwing and breaking of a snapple bottle). For the most part, I can't remember what we were fighting about (clothes? friends? school?), but I am pretty sure the fights were largely a petty collision of selfish preferences.

I'm more than a little bit embarrassed that I ever treated Jord so poorly (so much so that I was tempted to 'edit' the severity of our fights), especially since I consider her to be one of the Lord's greatest and most precious forms of provision for me. However, I also consider my relationship with my sister a small (but oh so poignant) example of the Lord's slow and steady sanctification in each of our lives.

You see, we don't actually fight anymore, me and Jordi. There is no more door slamming, definitely no more yelling, the word slinging has all but dissipated and (thankfully) the broken snapple bottle was a one time thing. I credit this transformation solely to the gracious 'smoothing out the rough edges' (or sanctification) of the Lord.

When I was in Lubbock last week, Jordan mentioned that she's thankful for long-term friendships like ours because they are a tangible example of where we've been and also of what the Lord has done in us. In the many times that I get discouraged about whether I am still the same old selfish punk kirst, I can look back at our relationship and see that I am not. I still have miles and miles to go, but I'm not at the starting line any longer. Thank the Lord!

3 comments:

jordan said...

kirst, this made me cry. I am so thankful that God continues to bring restoration and healing to our souls. It makes me hopeful for relationships that I see around me that are completely broken that God can and will restore hurt people with his grace. love you too.

p.s. you were very kind to not mention that I was the one throwing the snapple bottle...and to leave out all together the time I dug my nails into your arm so fiercely that it drew blood. phew. thank goodness those days are over.

pjmj said...

I think you two are great, and I hope that as Mallory & Jilly grow their relationship will grow to be amazing like yours - well, maybe minus the snapple bottle! :)

Brittany said...

ah i love reading this- it makes me smile and thankful for Jesus and sisters! thanks for sharing your hear kirsti and the pics! you both are such encouragements to me- thank you!