6.02.2008

pain management

my little voracious eater... all parts sweet and innocent here :)

In our childbirth class, every week we played a couple rounds of a game called, "Breastfeeding Fact or Crap." Basically the point was to extol the fabulous benefits of breastfeeding (which is sort of funny since there were only three couples in the class and all of us had already decided that we would breastfeed, so it's not like anyone needed convincing).

Sometimes as I feed Burke in the middle of the night, I remember one particular round of this game. The screen read, "Breastfeeding: Fact or Crap... Breastfeeding hurts!" Of course, all of us chanted, "Crap!" in unison and our instructor, Ellen (incidentally a local La Leche League leader) outlined why pain in nursing is one big myth.

But that was a lie! It DOES hurt! Alot! My sister assures me that this painful part is temporary and that it'll get better... In the meantime, I'm a little bitter about receiving faulty information.

In all of this, I have found one benefit of my 30+ hours of labor and delivery. During that Saturday/Sunday, Adam and I tried pretty much every pain management technique we'd heard of... and I found several things that work pretty effectively for me. So now, when Burke is voraciously attacking me, besides reminding myself that he is a sweet and precious baby that doesn't know how much he is hurting me, I start counting. Yep, counting. I don't know why it works, actually... maybe it gives me something else to focus on, or maybe it makes me feel like there is an end in sight. I know it sounds basic, but right now it's getting me through the 40 minute feedings. That and crying. Again, Jord said this part will be over soon. I hope so!

7 comments:

lfhcreative said...

Hang in there! It DOES get better, much better. Nipple shields and a tiny bit of formula absolutely saved me this last time around.

Sara said...

Hi Kirstin -
I'm a friend of Drew and Jord's and just popped in on your blog tonight. Burke is a GORGEOUS little guy, and I love 'feeling' the joy you have as a new mom that oozes through your words - even as you are 'attacked by a voracious eater'!
I'll hold my words of encouragement and random bits of advice because some things are best left to be figured out on your own, but know that I am praying for you and Burke tonight... that the nursing becomes SOOO much less painful (and actually relaxing!) in the very near future!
You have such a sweet family (I'll never forget your family rap that you all sang at Drew & Jord's wedding) and I look forward to reading more precious posts!
Sara Griffin
(mom to Caleb, 2 years, and Logan, 6 months)

kirstin said...

sara and laura-
thanks for the encouragement (and prayers!!!) girls! so fun to see you on here... :) I love reading about your families through links on jordi's blog... isn't the internet great???
it is so encouraging to hear that others have gone before me in this stuff and made it just fine...
love
kirst
ps- laura- LOVED the home-from-the-hospital outfits!!! :)

Kevin and Misty said...

Kristin-wow can I relate! I remember crying so many nights telling Kevin there is no way I can keep this up. Everyone said to stick it out two months before making any major decisions about breastfeeding. It was a LONG two months...but now it is the easiest and most wonderful time for us! It always helped me to know that other mothers faced the same thing and survived!

Scott and Deb said...

I, too, can relate. I was sure I had to be doing something wrong! Nope, they just lied to us.

Heidi K said...

Burke is so so so precious and sweet! Kirst... the first month of having an infant was HIDEOUS for me, but it monumentally gets better and better as hormones settle down and breastfeeding gets easier. Hang in there and be good to yourself. Love you all! Heidi

Unknown said...

heid, misty and deb-
I can't tell y'all how it encourages my heart to hear that you went through this rough part and it turned out ok. thanks so much for commenting and for encouraging me!!!
love
kirst