1.14.2009

running shape

In the world of Kirstin, there are essentially three levels of physical condition.

Level 1 is out-of-shape, which is me right now. This state of affairs occurs when I choose not to work out for more than a month... so every January (have any of you figured out how to overcome the chaos of December?).

Level 2 is in-shape. This label is reserved for those times when I am working out a few times a week... Or remodeling... Or traveling and walking 5-10 miles a day interspersed with treks up and down thousands of steps a couple times a week (as a side note, every single up-and-down-thousands-of-steps occasion I can remember involved us either climbing down to a beach or up to a castle... apparently I am highly motivated by these two things).

The third and most difficult to attain level is running-shape. This only happens when I am running frequently enough that my body turns off the, "I will make you stop torturing me" campaign and I actually enjoy running.

I already told you my current state of affairs, so I won't make you guess. But if you see me huffing around Expo Park (seriously, you could walk faster than my jog these days), just know that I am steadily gaining ground on Level 2. And maybe by May (when mom and I are purportedly running the Colfax half marathon) I will be at level 3. Maybe.

4 comments:

mom/carla said...

Unfortunately the only way to get to level three is to spend the time and "just do it" (running, I mean). But once we get there, I bet that you will be leaving me behind :)

kirstin said...

not sure I'll ever be at that point... it's fun to do this with you though, and good for me and burke to actually get outside in january! :)

Shiloh K. said...

You go girl! I'm thinking I am right there with you. Even though I managed to still work out through most of the holidays, i got sick and missed a couple of weeks. It feels like I never exercised before in my life! Ugh!My body hates me for running right now, but I am SO determined to reach your "Running Shape"... maybe by spring. :)

jordan said...

my goal is level 2! :)