4.04.2009

a king of circumstances?


Last week at church, our pastor Hunter was talking about how, throughout the course of history, God's people have continually been looking for the wrong kind of king. In the time of judges, the people asked Samuel to find them a king. They wanted a king like all the others they could see- one who would pursue military gain on their behalf. Then later, in the time of Christ, the Jews were expecting and looking for a king who would come, defeat the Romans and give them political power. Much to their surprise, the Messiah would come to bring a different kind of victory and power.

I've thought alot about this this week... Mostly because I feel like my priority when I ask the Lord to intervene in my life is almost always to change my circumstances. I, too, am looking for a king that will tailor my life to be as pain-free and enjoyable as possible. To me, that doesn't mean military gain or victory, but instead translates to financial stability, security in shaky times, fulfilling relationships and health- essentially a little buffer of comfort on all sides in my life. Rarely do I seek the Lord asking him to bring about the circumstances that would most benefit my character- just the ones that would most benefit my own happiness or security.

Ironically, the times of my life where my circumstances were the most unstable were the times where I drew nearest to the Lord (isn't that how it seems to go?). Remember how much I worried about selling the flip house? I was on my face in prayer every day about that. And actually, the ripple effect of praying so often for the flip house stretched out into all sorts of other areas of my life. My time in prayer expanded to include other things, and since I was talking to the Lord and reading God's Word constantly, He had an opportunity to develop in me patience and trust that wouldn't have come in a time of security and stability.

I'm not inviting struggle or suffering to an otherwise pretty even, unrocky season of our life. But I am praying that I would become a person who delights in our Good King as He brings about victory and blessing in ways that seem upside down to me, and that my priorities would begin to mirror His as I seek His hand at work in my life.

ps- Here's Hunter's message in it's entirety in case you want to listen too (just click on 3/29).

1 comment:

jordan said...

super convicting kirst. thanks for sharing.