9.13.2008

all caught up in a book

I know that all people don't get as emotionally involved in their reading as I do. But "getting into a book" is a consuming thing for me...

Case in point- I read A Thousand Splendid Suns this week (it's been on my to-read list for awhile now)... There were whole chapters of the book where I was curled up on the couch, hand over my mouth, bawling... and I couldn't see the words for the tears streaming down my face for many other parts. At one point, I stopped reading for awhile for dinner... during that break, I picked a fight with Adam over something inconsequential because I was so distraught for Laila and Mariam and actually kind of mad at men in general (that jerk Rasheed!).

Aside from the senseless fight picking, I think that this kind of emotional involvement in my reading actually has a couple of benefits... First of all, learning about the plight of the characters in a book prompts me to pray for their real-life counterparts... For the last few days, after reading about Laila and Mariam, I have been praying and praying for women in the middleeast, praying for those who are under the bondage of Islam, praying for people who are living in Afghanistan and other tumultuous, war-torn places, praying for wives/girlfriends/people who are trapped in abusive relationships. I know that the books I read are (mostly) fiction, but I also know that there are people all over the world facing the same heartbreak that these books portray.

Another interesting side effect of this emotional reading is the overwhelming gush of thankfulness I have for my life after reading about someone else's really hard, crappy, terrible life. Seriously, y'all, I have it so good. I am so thankful that I have never had to worry about starving, or about finding a way to feed Burke. I'm thankful that I live in a place where I've been offered an education, a chance to pursue whatever career path I feel called to, a chance for freedom, a chance to express my opinion. I'm thankful that our justice system (and our society for that matter!) doesn't value men over women. I'm thankful, so so so thankful, for my family. I'm thankful that the gospel of Christ offers mercy and grace instead of requiring false, unattainable piety. I'm thankful that I had a say in the guy I ended up with and that he's a really fantastic guy- more than I deserve actually. I'm so thankful that my needs are provided for far more than the majority of the world and then, above and beyond that, I have a truly amazing quality of life- people to love and be loved by, security, joy, a relationship with my Creator.

Anyhow, if you haven't already read it, or if you want to be so very thankful for your good, good life, grab A Thousand Splendid Suns... Even if you don't get as emotionally attached to your reading as I do, it'll be time well spent.

1 comment:

JW said...

Hey I'm reading this one, too, right now...it's a great one!~