9.22.2008

trying new things: what to do with baskets of tomatoes and peaches




Our house has been a flurry of new endeavors this week... At one point on Saturday, there were tomatoes "sun-drying" in the oven, peach preserves cooking on the stove, I was stewing tomatoes to freeze and my darling hubbie was roasting a batch of green chilis on the grill. Yep, I felt like Martha Stewart... or the girls from Little House on the Prairie.

Anyhow, your suggestions for using the fresh produce from our garden prompted some serious salad making, baking, and then some searching on recipezaar (our friend Megan has me hooked on this website! If I ever need a recipe for anything, this is the first place I try!) this week. I began the weekend armed with directions for stewing and freezing tomatoes, oven drying tomatoes, making peach preserves and a recipe for a peach pie. I'll be honest, I've never had my own garden and I've never done any canning, so I was a little nervous about how all of this would turn out... but everything we made was delicious! If you're going to try one of these recipes, I think I'd go with the oven-dried tomatoes- they are worth going to a farmer's market and buying tomatoes if you don't have a garden!

Our little harvest isn't over yet... I think I'm going to try this recipe for oven-dried tomatoes this week (especially since you can use green cherry tomatoes and I have hundreds, seriously hundreds, of those in my backyard right now) and also try these directions for preserving tomatoes.

I'll let you know when I conquer the army of zucchini on my kitchen counter...

1 comment:

Megan said...

That is so awesome that you are able to use up all those peaches and tomatoes. What creative ideas! I'm so glad recipezaar is working out for you. I don't know what I would do without it!