9.06.2008

reflections of a labor coach


I am finally sitting at home (well, at jord's home...) after a whirlwind of busyness this last 24 hours... I am still tearing up at the thought of my darling new niece and her wonderful parents and I thought I'd try to get some of this written down before I lose the moment.

Jordi's labor was pretty average... about 13 hours with some laid-back parts (where we were talking about the first starbucks each of us ever visited- haha!), some REALLY tough parts (Jord breathing through those contractions at the end!), some scary parts (little Sayla Grace had the cord wrapped around her neck when she came out- poor purple little thing) and some superexciting parts ("meet your precious baby girl!"). I think most labors and deliveries have those components- exciting, scary, difficult... What is so amazing is how those pieces come together into an absolute miracle.

It is a miracle that last night Jord was just her normal, albeit larger than average, self with a teensy person inside her and that tonight there is a new member of their family out here on the outside. It is a miracle that Sayla has her own destiny from the Lord- her own gifts, her own calling, her own part to play in history... and that Jord and Drew get to be a part of that. It is a miracle what the sleep-deprived human body can do- truly a miracle.

I guess it is just a miracle the way God chose to do this- to let us be a part of bringing a whole new life into the world. I would never do things this way; I am way to much of a control freak and I think people are a little to chance-y and irresponsible to be trusted with something this huge. Luckily the Lord is smarter than me...

Tonight I am praising God for the miracle of new life.

3 comments:

Brittany said...

ah, you just made me cry! so happy! God is soo good :0) and Sayla is so precious!

I have had such a great time getting to know you these past few days! I can see why you and Jord are so close and why she loves you so much! You are great and i hope we will continue this friendship! And little burke... ADORABLE

kirstin said...

you're such a doll, britt!
it seriously has been so fun to hang out with y'all while i've been here... jord and drew are SO blessed to have such fantastic friends who love the Lord and love them. it delights my heart that they are so well taken care of! and i've loved getting to know you and chase...
i can't wait to keep up with y'all through your blog! :)

Kara said...

Congratulations on being an Aunt again! Sayla is just beautiful! How wonderful you were able to be there and support your Jordan. Aren't sisters the best?!